Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 19:14:38 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 10:37:18 PM UTC-5, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:34 am, Mikhail V wrote:
>
> > Ok, in this narrow context I can also agree.
> > But in slightly wider context that phrase may sound almost like:
> > "neither geometrical shape is better than the other as a basis
> > for a wheel. If you have polygonal wheels, they are still called wheels."
>
> I'm not talking about wheels, I'm talking about writing systems which are
> fundamentally collections of arbitrary shapes. There's nothing about the sound
> of "f" that looks like the letter "f".

He was not talking about wheels either.

He was making a rhetorical point as to the relationship
between wheels (aka: perfect circles) and "approximations of
wheels" (aka: equilateral and equiangular N-sided polygons).

Here's a free tip: next time you're feeling confused by
metaphors, but _before_ you reply, first do a "toupee check".
If it's missing, then consider that the atmospheric
disturbance created from a fast moving concept that buzzed
your noggin may have flung it off.