Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 18 23:22:41 EDT 2017

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 10:08 am, Ben Finney wrote:

> Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>
>> The term "emoji" is becoming rather strained these days.
>> The idea of "woman" and "personal computer" being emotions
>> is an interesting one...
>
> I think of “emoji” as “not actually a character in any system anyone
> would use for writing anything, but somehow gets to squat in the Unicode
> space”.

Blame the Japanese mobile phone manufacturers. They want to include emoji in
their SMSes and phone chat software, and have the money to become full members
of the Unicode Consortium.

I suppose that having a standard for emoji is good. I'm not convinced that
Unicode should be that standard, but on the other hand if we agree that Unicode
should support hieroglyphics and pictographs, well, that's exactly what emoji
are.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.