Grapheme clusters, a.k.a.real characters

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 10:41:12 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-18, Steve D'Aprano <steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> (I don't think any native English words use a double-V or double-U, but the
> possibility exists.)

double-v:

   flivver, navvy, bivvy, bevvy, trivvet, divvy, skivvy, skivvies,
   etc.  and various gerund and past tense verbs: revved, revving,
   chivved chivving

double-u:

   vacuum, continuum, squush, fortuuned

> That's neither better nor worse than the system used by English and French,
> where letters with dicritics are not distinct letters, but guides to
> pronunciation.  Neither system is right or wrong, or better than the other.

You'll get kicked off Usenet for having an attitude like that!

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I put aside my copy
                                  at               of "BOWLING WORLD" and