Write this accumuator in a functional style

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 13 12:26:36 EDT 2017

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 01:09 am, Rustom Mody wrote:

> Couple that with the fact that space-time are not unrelated on any modern VM
> based OS + cache based hw. Doubly so for "managed" languages where gc buys
> space for time.

I don't understand that comment. Space/time have *never* been unrelated.

Trading off space for time (you can save memory by doing extra work, which takes
time, or save time by using more memory) is an old, old trick. It applies to
1950s mainframes just as much as 2010s smart phones, and everything in between.
It isn't even specific to computers: what do you think a book index is, except
a way to spend extra space (more pages) to save time when looking up a topic?

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.