Check Python version from inside script? Run Pythons script in v2 compatibility mode?

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 19:23:13 EDT 2017

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 2:54:04 AM UTC-5, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> [...] That's now not only backwards compatible, but it is
> forward compatible: if Python changes in the future to
> bring reduce back into the built-in functions, your code
> will automatically keep working.

If python starts going all paranoid schizoid on us, the few
remaining holdovers from the good old days will be choosing
another language. But don't worry Steven, even if i find a
new favorite language, i will always drop in preiodically to
say hi. ;-)

> > Additional question: Is there a way to execute a python
> > script with v3 python engine in v2 compatibility mode?

Nope. Even the though the most hated software developer in
history offers a compatibility mode for their users, Python
does not. Python's philosophy is that you will accept
Python3, or you will suffer...

As for myself, i'm waiting for Python4. I will skip right
over Python3. I say, let the other saps to suffer the
migration headaches, because i don't need them. I'm too busy
getting stuff done.