Embedding python, run a function and get it's result

Charles Heizer ceh329 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:11:10 EST 2017

Hello,
I'm messing around with the embedded python and I can get parts to work. What I'm having a hard time is getting my head around calling a function in the python string and getting it's result.

Question, how do I load the python script and call runMe() and get it's value?

Thanks!

Example Works

Obj-C Code:

Py_Initialize();
PyObject *py_main, *py_dict;
py_main = PyImport_AddModule("__main__");
py_dict = PyModule_GetDict(py_main);

// Run the python source code
PyRun_String([auditScript UTF8String], Py_file_input, py_dict, py_dict);

PyObject *pythonString = PyDict_GetItemString(py_dict, "x") ;
if (!pythonString) {
        NSLog(@"pythonString returned NULL");
        return "NO";
}

// Convert the unpickled Python string to a C string
char *cString = PyString_AsString(pythonString);
Py_DECREF(pythonString);
f (!cString) {
    NSLog(@"Failed converting pythonString string to C string");
    return 1;