Is shutil.get_terminal_size useless?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 12:08:23 EST 2017

On 2017-01-29, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:

> Mount? As a regular user?

Yes, using a "fuse" use-space filesystem, you can mount things as a
normal user. There are a couple ISO9660 fuse implemenations.  But, you
can't modify a mounted ISO9660 filesystem.  I have read about how to
use a union mount to simulate a writable ISO9660 filesystem, but
that's going to require root (I've never tried it).

As long as you've got the disk space available, the simplest option is
to unpack the .iso into a directory, modify the files, and then use
mkisofs to create the new .iso image.

I've written scripts like that to build cusotmized bootable ISO images
(usually using systemrescuecd as the starting point).  It's not
particulary difficult, but it does burn up a lot of disk space.  It's
also rather slow, so when you get into the tweak-build-burn-test cycle
you don't get in a lot of guesses-per-hour.

--
Grant