How coding in Python is bad for you

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 08:17:43 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 12:05 AM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
> On 29/01/2017 01:35, pavlovevidence at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, January 23, 2017 at 9:24:56 AM UTC-8, bream... at gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> The article is here http://lenkaspace.net/index.php/blog/show/111
>>>
>>> Kindest regards.
>>>
>>> Mark Lawrence.
>>

>> I remember the old days of Python when it was just Perl's little brother.
>> Sometimes I feel moments of amazement whenever someone makes this much of an
>> effort to badmouth it (and this blog is definitely badmouthing it, very
>> little of criticism is reasonable).
>

> I think it's completely reasonable for anyone to criticise Python if they
> want (or any other computer language for that matter).
>
> (And it didn't cover that much; I could do a far more in-depth critique if I
> wanted.)
>
> What might be unreasonable is to criticise it in a /Python/ group full of
> language aficionados who are going to view every feature and quirk of the
> language in a good light; nothing is ever a problem!
>
> But the author of piece didn't post it here.

It's completely reasonable for someone to critique Python. It's not
reasonable to post a bunch of baseless FUD, regardless of your forum.

There's plenty in Python that you can legitimately criticise.
Sometimes you'll get a response of "actually this is good, because X,
Y, Z"; sometimes you get "well, what you suggest is marginally better,
but not enough to justify breaking backward compatibility"; and
sometimes you get "good point, maybe we can change that in the next
version - want to write a patch?". But when all your criticisms are
either (a) true of virtually every programming language, yet you claim
they're Python's faults; or (b) actually false, you just make yourself
look like a troll.

ChrisA