What are your opinions on .NET Core vs Python?

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Sun Jan 29 04:11:28 EST 2017

Juan C. wrote, on Saturday, January 28, 2017 7:07 PM

> As you guys might know, .NET Core is up and running,
> promising a "cross-platform, unified, fast, lightweight,
> modern and open source experience" (source: .NET Core
> official site). What do you guys think about it? Do you think
> it will be able to compete with and overcome Python in the
> opensource medium?

I don't really know what .NET does these days, but looking at the list
of languages it supports:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CLI_languages#Current_Languages
I don't see any I'd likely want to use instead of Python, with the
possible exception of IronPython. A few people on this list have
mentioned it, but I don't really see any good reason to paste any
version of Python onto some other kind of system. Unless maybe you're
required to use that system for some other reason.

Most of the languages on this "List_of_CLI_languages" supported by .NET
have already been shown to my satisfaction to have been overtaken and
subsumed by Python. It's a good thing that .NET's framework has shed
some baggage, which was sorely needed, but what really matters is what
you can do with it. And given the choices of languages available in
.NET, in most cases I think you'd be better off working in straight
Python. You can't put lipstick on a pig. It will still be a pig, even if
you give it flashy sunglasses and put it on jetskis.