How coding in Python is bad for you

Brandon McCaig bamccaig at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 23:15:12 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 07:50:20PM +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> I suspect that part of the reason these errors occur is
> precisely because they don't matter to the interpreter and
> students are doing a lot of self-easement based on "does it
> work?" tests.

I cringe when I hear "it works"! In particular, because it's
often followed by "but I don't know how". I can't even count the
number of times I have reviewed code, spotted something
questionable, approached the author about it, and heard "but it
works!" Well if my analysis is correct it shouldn't so one of us
is obviously wrong. Unfortunately, in my experience, they usually
expect the conversation to be over after "but it works"...

Regards,

--
Brandon McCaig <bamccaig at gmail.com> <bambams at castopulence.org>
Castopulence Software <https://www.castopulence.org/>