How coding in Python is bad for you

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Tue Jan 24 20:50:43 EST 2017

On 25/01/2017 01:04, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 17:50:56 +0000, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> declaimed the
> following:

>> If I've accidentally lost a space or tab while messing about with it,
>> and it's significant, I would rather the compiler reported it! As I'm
>> not going to spot it by perusing the 15,000 pages of code.)
>>
> 	None of the C/Java/Pascal/Ada family will report a missing space or
> tab.

The point is, it usually doesn't matter as in most situations it's not
significant. But if it was significant it would be useful for the
language to pick it up. (Usually it would be in such languages, but not
always.)

And if C code is posted on usenet, and leading whitespace is lost, as
often happens, then the results are still valid code.

Losing leading white space with Python code would cause serious problems
as it contains program structure that is not backed up by explicit block
markers (which could have been used to reconstruct the indentation).

--
Bartc