How coding in Python is bad for you

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Tue Jan 24 07:19:16 EST 2017

On 24/01/2017 11:58, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:52 PM, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> Remember: If you have only one clock, it might be right and it might
>>> be wrong, but it's consistent. If you have two clocks and they
>>> disagree, you have no clue what the time is.
>>

>> I've actually got three wall clocks. Usually only one will disagree with the
>> other two, meaning it needs a new battery. But don't they use such systems
>> in avionics?
>
> See what Steve said about 1 or 3 but never 2. Triple redundancy gives
> you a chance to figure out that two of them agree.

But even with two clocks you will know something is amiss if they don't
agree, and will seek confirmation from a third. With one clock you can't
be sure, and could end up missing your flight or whatever.

(Of course, when the clocks go forward in the spring, all the (cheap,
non-automatic) clocks in my house will show the same incorrect time!)

--
Bartc