Emulating Final classes in Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 18 02:05:33 EST 2017

On Wednesday 18 January 2017 15:42, Ethan Furman wrote:

[...]
> Both those cases are good candidates for disallowing subclassing.

I've given a metaclass that disallows subclassing:

class MyClass(MyParent, metaclass=FinalMeta):

Ethan took that one step further by giving a class you inherit from to disallow
subclassing:

class MyClass(MyParent, Final):

Could we solve this problem with a decorator?

@final
class MyClass(MyParent):

Without needing to add any special magic to MyParent or MyClass, apart from the
decorator, can we make MyClass final? That would (in principle) allow us to
make a subclass, and *then* set the class final so that no more subclasses
could be made.

I thought that the decorator could simply set the class' metaclass:

def final(cls):
    if cls.__class__ is type:
        cls.__class__ = Meta
        return cls
    raise TypeErrror('Possible metaclass conflict')

but that's disallowed. Any ideas?

--
Steven
it everywhere." - Jon Ronson