Python 3.6 Installation

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:32:46 EST 2017

On 01/17/2017 07:12 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 January 2017 12:30, Michael Torrie wrote:
>
>> Yes googling error messages is a good idea. However the SO link seems to
>> describe this problem as a missing DLL, probably the VS 2015 runtime
>> redistributable library.  If this is the problem, why isn't Python's
>> installer bundling the runtime for optional install?  Many other
>> installers do this.  Judging by the frequency of posts like this one to
>> this list, it's a problem that affects more than a few users.
>>
>> Anyway, it seems like this kind of runtime error is cropping up more and
>> more for folks.
>
> Perhaps some Python-on-Windows user who cares about this issue should raise it
> on the bug tracker as a feature request.

I did a quick search of the issue tracker and now I'm confused.
Apparently the installer does bundle the runtime with Python.  And if
Python is compiled against this new MS universal runtime that is
supposed to be in all supported versions of windows (from windows
update) why is Visual Studio 2015 redistributable required, as per the
SO link Terry linked to?

http://bugs.python.org/issue28592 -- Erik mentions that the runtime is
bundled with the installer, but probably shouldn't be since it's a
windows update thing now...