Python 3.6 Installation

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 20:30:36 EST 2017

On 01/17/2017 03:31 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> On 1/17/2017 1:23 PM, Earl Izydore wrote:
>> I having problems installing Python 3.6.  I was using Python 2.7
>> successfully.
>>
>> Today, I installed python-3.6.0.exe.
>
> Which binary? from where?
>
>> At the end of the installation I got a message saying the
>> installation was successful.
>>
>> When attempt to start Python, I get the following Application Error:
>> The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).  Click OK
>> to close the application.
>
> Searching the web for 0xc000007b gets many hits and suggestions.  For
> python, searching stackoverflow.con is probably better.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20650596/cannot-open-python-error-0xc000007b
>
> is only one of the hits.
>
>> I am using Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit.

Yes googling error messages is a good idea. However the SO link seems to
describe this problem as a missing DLL, probably the VS 2015 runtime
redistributable library.  If this is the problem, why isn't Python's
installer bundling the runtime for optional install?  Many other
installers do this.  Judging by the frequency of posts like this one to
this list, it's a problem that affects more than a few users.

Anyway, it seems like this kind of runtime error is cropping up more and
more for folks.