Extended ASCII

D'Arcy Cain darcy at VybeNetworks.com
Fri Jan 13 17:24:27 EST 2017

I thought I was done with this crap once I moved to 3.x but some
Winblows machines are still sending what some circles call "Extended
ASCII".  I have a file that I am trying to read and it is barfing on
some characters.  For example:

   due to the Qu\xe9bec government

Obviously should be "due to the Québec government".  I can't figure out
what that encoding is or if it is anything that can even be understood
outside of M$.  I have tried ascii, cp437, cp858, cp1140, cp1250,
latin-1, utf8 and others.  None of them recognize that character.  Can
someone tell me what encoding includes that character please.

Here is the failing code:

with open(sys.argv[1], encoding="latin-1") as fp:
   for ln in fp:
     print(ln)

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "./load_iff", line 11, in <module>
     print(ln)
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character '\xe9' in
position 132: ordinal not in range(128)

I don't understand why the error says "ascii" when I told it to use
"latin-1".

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Vybe Networks Inc.