Doubt with matrix

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Jan 12 11:59:31 EST 2017

José Manuel Suárez Sierra wrote:

> Hello, I want to  go over matrix indexs with this code:
> def comparador2(a, b):
>     c3 = ["0"]  # variables
>     x = -1  # contador de letras aniadidas a c3
>     i = 0  # contador bucle secuencia a
>     j = 0  # contador bucle secuencia b
>     l1 = len(a)
>     l2 = len(b)
>     cont = []  # contador de ciclos poner primer termino a 0
>     k = -1  # contador de 0 y 1 aniadidos a cont
>
>     if l1 > l2:  # metodo de la burbuja que elige la secuencia mas larga
>     REVISAR puede ser alreves

In Python there's a cool way to swap values without an explicit helper
variable:

          a, b = b, a

>         aux = a
>         a = b
>         b = aux

OK, now you have swapped a and b, but not their respective lengths l1 and
l2...

>     for a[i] in a:  # en la secuencia1 recorro los elementos

Do you really want to modify a[i] on every iteration? Most certainly not.
Try to use the normal way with just a name, e. g.

      for entry_a in a:

Then use entry_a instead of a[i] for your comparison in the body of the for-
loop. With that approach it's impossible to get an IndexError.
If you still need the index to alter an entry in the list -- enumerate() is
your friend:

for index_a, entry_a in enumerate(a):

Again it's unlikely that you will get an IndexError.