reactiveX vs Async

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:47:43 EST 2017

On Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 6:50:09 AM UTC+5:30, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >> There is the recent flurry around the new async additions to python
> >
> > I meant to add: “… which I dont pretend to understand…”
>
> Try these links on for size:
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh242982(v=vs.103).aspx which links to
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh242983(v=vs.103).aspx near the end.
>
> That summarizes the conceptual difference pretty well imho. It's also summarized on
> the .NET versions GitHub page: https://github.com/Reactive-Extensions/Rx.NET#a-brief-intro
>
> I think you can summarize RX as a framework whereas async/await can be used without
> significant buy-in (Overlook the "async top down or none at all" best practice sound bite).
> That is, you can artificially convert a synchronous method into a threaded operation and
> have it executely asynchronously while you do something else and wait on it for completion
> at somne other time.
>
> However, I have only used the .NET implementations.
>
> jlc

Thanks Joseph
Trouble is there is stew of technologies/languages…
(meta)-stewed with more abstract concepts, eg push vs pull, Enumerable-Observable
duality, continuous vs discrete time
The last causing its own share of confusion with “functional reactive programming” (FRP) meaning sometimes the one and sometimes the other:
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4982

As for 'Overlook the “async/await can be used without significant buy-in” '
I believe Ive seen people with considerable experience/understanding of the area
take the opposite view, usually along the lines: “Once you start going non-blocking,
you have to non-block all the way”