Cannot import GDAL

Falter, Donald [USA] falter_donald at bah.com
Wed Jan 11 12:31:42 EST 2017

I am new to Python and I am trying to utilize GDAL.  I installed Python 3.6.  The version I get when I activate IDLE is: MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.  In downloading the GDAL bindings the latest version I can find is release-1800-gdal-2-1-2-mapserver-7-0-2 so I installed the following: gdal-201-1800-core.msi and GDAL-2.1.2.win32-py3.4.msi.

I added C:\Program Files\GDAL to my path and added the system variables GDAL_DATA = C:\Program Files\GDAL\gdal-data and\
GDAL_DRIVER_PATH = C:\Program Files\GDAL\gdalplugins

When I open IDLE and type the following: from osgeo import gdal I get the following error

>>> from osgeo import gdal
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    from osgeo import gdal
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'osgeo'

I have been all over the internet looking for answer but have found none that work.  Some real help here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don