The hardest problem in computer science...

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:47:00 EST 2017

On Saturday, 7 January 2017 19:14:43 UTC, Ethan Furman  wrote:
> Ya know, that looks an /awful/ lot like a collection!  Maybe even an Enum?  ;)
>
> -- 8< -------------------------------------------------------
> from aenum import Enum   # note the 'a' before the 'enum'  :)
>
> class Theme(Enum, init='v vr llc'):
>      DEFAULT = "│  ", "├─ ", "└─ "
>      BOLD = "┃  ", "┣━ ", "┗━ "
>      ASCII = "|  ", "|- ", "+- "
>
> def draw_tree(tree, theme=Theme.DEFAULT):
>      print(theme.v)
>      print(theme.vr)
>      print(theme.v)
>      print(theme.llc)
>
> draw_tree(None)

I noted the "a" before enum :-)

Is the implication that this form (a sort of combined namedtuple/enum) *isn't* possible with the stdlib enum? But rather that it's specific to your aenum module? I don't see any documentation for the "init" parameter in either version, so I'm a little puzzled.

The capability seems neat, although (as is probably obvious) the way you declare it seems a little confusing to me.

Paul