Using namedtuples field names for column indices in a list of lists

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Mon Jan 9 23:27:38 EST 2017

MRAB wrote, on January 09, 2017 7:37 PM

> On 2017-01-10 03:02, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > Erik wrote, on January 09, 2017 5:47 PM
> >> As people keep saying, the object you have called 'records' is a
> >> *list* of namedtuple objects. It is not a namedtuple.
> >>
> >> IIRC, you create it using a list comprehension which creates the
> >> records. A list comprehension always creates a list.
> >
> > Well no. The list is created with:
> >
> > records.extend(Record._make(row) for row in rows)
> >
> > I'm new to both namedtuples and list comprehensions, so I'm not
> > exactly sure if this statement is a list comprehension. It
> looks like
> > it could be.
>  >
> This is a list comprehension:
>
>      [Record._make(row) for row in rows]
>
> and this is a generator expression:
>
>      (Record._make(row) for row in rows)
>
> It needs the outer parentheses.
>
> The .extend method will accept any iterable, including list
> comprehensions:
>
>      records.extend([Record._make(row) for row in rows])
>
> and generator expressions:
>
>      records.extend((Record._make(row) for row in rows))
>
> In the latter case, the generator expression is the only
> argument of the
> .extend method, and Python lets us drop the pair of parentheses:
>
>      records.extend(Record._make(row) for row in rows)
>
> If there were another argument, it would be ambiguous and
> Python would
> complain.

Appreciate your explanation of why this statement looks like a list
comprehension, but it isn't one.

> > In any case I recreated records in IDLE and got

> > <class 'list'>
> >
> > So it's a class, derived from list? (Not sure what the
> 'list' means.)

>>> [1,2,3]
[1, 2, 3]
>>> type(_)
<class 'list'>

So it is a list, despite not being made by a list comprehension and
despite its non-listlike behaviors. Guess I've never looked at the type
of a list before, probably because lists are so obvious by looking at
them.

> > 'records' is in fact a class, it has an fget method and data members

> > that I've used. And it behaves like a list sometimes, but many times
not.

> Its type is 'list', so it's an instance of a list, i.e. it's a list!

As testified by IDLE above!  ;)  A list of namedtuples may be an
instance of a list, but it doesn't always behave like a list of lists.
For example, if you want to modify an element of a record in records,
you can't just say

'record.Location = Tulsa'

like you can say

'record[Location] = Tulsa'

because each record is very much like a tuple, and tuples are immutable.
You have to use the _replace function:

record._replace(Location) = Tulsa

This is very unlike a list of lists. Only the outer data structure is a
list, and inside it's all namedtuples.

So it's not a list of lists, it's a list of namedtuples.  But .sort and
sorted() DTRT, and that's valuable.