Help with this code

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Jan 9 08:46:56 EST 2017

José Manuel Suárez Sierra wrote:

> Hello,

Welcome!

> I am trying to make a code wich compares between 2 or several
> sequences (lists). It compares every element in a list with another list
> elements. For example, if we have a list_a=["a","b","c","d"] and
> list_b=["a","b"] I want to obtain a new list_c containing elements that
> match between these lists (a and b here), but, if for instance list_b were
> ["a","c"] the program must not store this data because they are not in
> same order.
>
> Said this, I wrote this code but it doesnt work:

Get into the habit of describing what "doesn't work" as precisely as you
can. That is the first and most important step to fixing a bug. Python often
helps you with that task by producing a "traceback", in your case something
like

$ python tmp3.py
  File "tmp3.py", line 12
    j = j+1
    ^
IndentationError: unexpected indent

probably with another filename and line number. This is the compiler trying
to tell you that line 12 has more leading whitespace than the preceding one,
something that should only occur e. g. for the body of a while-loop, not at
random places like the

j = j+1

that follows the ordinary statement

c1.append(a[i])

Note that once you have fixed your code in this place you will run into
another error. Read the traceback carefully and try to figure out what's
going on. If you need help come back here or, better, ask on the tutor
mailing list which is dedicated to newbies making their first steps with
Python. Good luck!