Search a sequence for its minimum and stop as soon as the lowest possible value is found

Pablo Lucena plucena24 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 20:56:30 EST 2017

How about using the second usage of builtin iter()?

In [92]: iter?
Docstring:
iter(iterable) -> iterator
iter(callable, sentinel) -> iterator

Get an iterator from an object.  In the first form, the argument must
supply its own iterator, or be a sequence.
*In the second form, the callable is called until it returns the sentinel.
 <<<-----this one <<<-------*
Type:      builtin_function_or_method

In [88]: numbers
Out[88]: [1, 9, 8, 11, 22, 4, 0, 3, 5, 6]

# create iterator over the numbers to make callable simple
# you may pre-sort or do w/e as needed of course
In [89]: numbers_it = iter(numbers)

# callable passed into iter - you may customize this
# using functools.partial if need to add function arguments
In [90]: def grab_until():
    ...:     return next(numbers_it)
    ...:

# here 0 is the 'sentinel' ('int()' would work as well as you have
# the iterator produced by iter() here stops as soon as sentinel value
# is encountered
In [91]: list(iter(grab_until, 0))
Out[91]: [1, 9, 8, 11, 22, 4]

Hope this helps