Using sudo with pip3?

jim jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 20:45:17 EST 2017

On 01/07/2017 05:58 PM, Clint Moyer wrote:
> Not sure how you guys got this thread so far off topic, but I think it
> is valuable to present the current situation in the context of Jim's
> sudo question. Staying on topic, the emphasis should be on taking the
> path of least resistance with your current OS. The only thing to be
> gleaned from PEP394 is that users should not put faith or expectations
> in what their /usr/bin/python symlink points to. Most systems point to
> Python2, but it is not guaranteed.
>
> So to minimize your issues with installing Python packages, take the
> path of least resistance and install through your system repo. And use
> Python2 or Python3 explicitly to avoid conflicts.
>
> --
> Clint

As I mentioned in another post, most of the more popular modules I had
installed on my old system using pip are available in the repository and
I will use the repository to install them on the new system. I now
understand that using sudo is a bad idea.

One question from the earlier post that did not get answered concerned
upgrading a repository installed module with pip. To get started on the
new system I installed pip3 from the repository. The first time I used
it to install a module it said a newer version was available and gave
the command to update it. What are the consequences of using pip to
upgrade repository installed modules?

I ask because 16.04 is LTS and won't be getting version upgrades unless
they are security related. Also pandas is in the repositories but the
module pandas-datareader, which I may need to use, is not.

Regards,  Jim