Search a sequence for its minimum and stop as soon as the lowest possible value is found

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Sat Jan 7 06:42:58 EST 2017

Jussi Piitulainen wrote:

> Peter Otten writes:
>
>> Example: you are looking for the minimum absolute value in a series of
>> integers. As soon as you encounter the first 0 it's unnecessary extra
>> work to check the remaining values, but the builtin min() will continue.
>>
>> The solution is a minimum function that allows the user to specify a stop
>> value:

>> 0
>>
>> How would you implement stopmin()?
>
> Only let min see the data up to, but including, the stop value:

I should have mentioned that my actual use case has a costly key() function.

> from itertools import groupby
>
> def takeuntil(data, pred):
>     '''Take values from data until and including the first that
>     satisfies pred (until data is exhausted if none does).'''
>     for kind, group in groupby(data, pred):
>         if kind:
>             yield next(group)
>             break
>         else:
>             yield from group

A clever takeuntil() implementation ;) I may steal it for my current
favourite

def stopmin_du(items, *, key, stop):
    # decorate, process, undecorate
    pairs = ((key(item), item) for item in items)
    pairs = takeuntil(pairs, lambda pair: pair[0] <= stop)
    return min(pairs, key=firstitem)[1]