Using sudo with pip3?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Fri Jan 6 21:24:24 EST 2017

On 06Jan2017 23:03, Clint Moyer <contact at clintmoyer.com> wrote:
>Packages supplied by your distribution can be trusted more than packages
>from PyPi. Just my two cents.
>Most distros offer nearly all the useful Python modules directly from the
>repo.

I would agree with this on the whole. And also that it is generally better to
add modules to your system python via the distro's repo because that bring
benefit to every user on the system, not just yourself.

>Virtual environments are great, but if you want to add libraries to your
>system interpreter I'd recommend a simple sync through your repo.

I'm directly advocating _not_ adding PyPI packages to the system interpreter.
If nothing else, they may differ in behaviour and potentially actually break
system behaviour.

Having your on virtualenv is good for: adding packages no provided by your
vendor, adding packages deliberately different from those from your vendor (eg
newer versions with specific bugfixes or extra features), having an isolated
environment for packages (you can make more than one virtual environment).

And of course it avoids interfering with your system python install.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>