The hardest problem in computer science...

Mario R. Osorio nimbiotics at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 20:45:18 EST 2017

On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 10:37:40 AM UTC-5, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 01/06/2017 05:03 AM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>
> > what do we call the vertical and horizontal line elements? I want to make
> > them configurable, which means the user has to be able to pass an argument
> > that specifies them. I have names for the individual components:
> >
> > XXX = namedtuple("XXX", "vline tee corner")
> >
> > default_YYY = XXX("│  ", "├─ ", "└─ ")
> > bold_YYY = XXX("┃  ", "┣━ ", "┗━ ")
> > ascii_YYY = XXX("|  ", "|- ", "+- ")
> >
> > def draw_tree(tree, YYY=default_YYY):
> >
> > but what do I call XXX and YYY?
>
> Looks like horizontal, vertical, and corner are as groups -- so I would call YYY "style" and XXX "default", "bold", and "ascii".
>
> --
> ~Ethan~

back in the days of CPM this group was referred to as "box characters", and each of them were called as follows:

"│": vertical_line, v_line

"├─": left_intersection, l_intersection, left_tee, l_tee

"└─": bottom_left_corner, bl_corner

[...and son on...]

(the names also apply to the combination of lower ascii characters)