Clickable hyperlinks

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Thu Jan 5 17:53:02 EST 2017

Rhodri James wrote, on January 05, 2017 3:53 AM

> On 05/01/17 04:52, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > My original question was in fact whether there was a way to make
> > clickable hyperlinks in a console. I was persuaded after about 10
> > replies that the answer was no,
>
> Then you were persuaded wrong; the actual answer was "this isn't a
> meaningful question since it's based on incorrect assumptions."
> Translating that to "No" is just as much a mistake as
> translating it to
> "Yes."
>
> --
> Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd

Actually, your statement "this isn't a meaningful question since it's
based on incorrect assumptions" is false. PyCharm outputs clickable
links to the console, but they aren't web links, they simply link to
lines of code. I'd seen that PyCharm can make links in the console that
aren't web enabled, so it seemed, and in fact it is, reasonable to
assume that it could be done for urls. I just wanted to know if anyone
knew how to do it.

Granted, the suggestion to use tkinter to enable the links came up much
later than in the first 10 or so replies, and since tkinter makes
clickable links possible, that's another reason my question wasn't based
on false assumptions. It simply appears that the early responders to my
question went off on a tangent of what is or is not technologically
possible, and all of the approaches under consideration were in fact
dead ends.

But clickable links turns out to be just eye candy, and the real result
I wanted, which is opening urls in a browser from my IDE, is much more
quickly and easily done programmatically. Although I didn't see this
before I asked my question, and only saw it after reading quite a few