Choosing a Python IDE. what is your Pythonish recommendation? I

Antonio Caminero Garcia tonycamgar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 07:13:24 EST 2017

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 9:51:17 AM UTC-8, ArnoB wrote:
> On 02-01-17 12:38, Antonio Caminero Garcia wrote:
> > Hello, I am having a hard time deciding what IDE or IDE-like code editor
should I use. This can be overwhelming.

> > So far, I have used Vim, Sublime, Atom, Eclipse with PyDev, Pycharm,
IntelliJ with Python plugin.

> > The thing with the from-the-scratch full featured IDEs (Eclipse, IntelliJ,
Pycharm) is that they look like a space craft dashboard and that unwarranted
resources consumption and the unnecessary icons. I want my IDE to be
minimalistic but powerful. My screen should be mostly â £made of codeâ Ø as
usually happens in Vim, Sublime or Atom. However, Pycharm is really cool and
python oriented.

> > The problem with Vim is the learning curve, so I know the very basic stuff,
but obviously not enough for coding and I do not have time to learn it, it is a
pity because there are awesome plugins that turns Vim into a lightweight
powerful IDE-like. So now it is not an option but I will reconsider it in the
future, learning little by little. Also, I am not very fan GUI guy if the task
can be accomplished through the terminal. However, I donâ Öt understand why
people underrate GUIs, that said I normally use shortcuts for the most frequent
tasks and when I have to do something that is not that frequent then I do it
with the mouse, for the latter case in vim you would need to look for that
specific command every time.

> > Sublime is my current and preferred code editor. I installed Anaconda, Git
integration and a couple of additional plugins that make sublime very powerful.
Also, what I like about sublime compared to the full featured IDEs, besides the
minimalism, is how you can perform code navigation back and forth so fast, I
mean this is something that you can also do with the others but for some
subjective reason I specifically love how sublime does it. The code completion
in sublime I do not find it very intelligence, the SublimeCodeIntel is better
than the one that Anaconda uses but the completions are not as verbose as in
the IDEs.

> > Now, I am thinking about giving a try to Visual Studio Code Edition (take a
look, it sounds good https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=donjay
amanne.python). I need an editor for professional software development. What
would you recommend to me?

> Hi Antonio,
>
> Just an extra one in case you'll ever want to create
> a nice GUI, then there's also QT Creator:
> https://wiki.qt.io/QtCreator_and_PySide
>
> A very simple but powerful interface a la XCode...
>
> It integrates nicely with PySide:
> https://wiki.qt.io/QtCreator_and_PySide
>
> gr
> Arno