Clickable hyperlinks

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Wed Jan 4 21:53:02 EST 2017

Rhodri James wrote, on January 05, 2017 3:53 AM

> On 05/01/17 04:52, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > My original question was in fact whether there was a way to make
> > clickable hyperlinks in a console. I was persuaded after about 10
> > replies that the answer was no,
>
> Then you were persuaded wrong; the actual answer was "this isn't a
> meaningful question since it's based on incorrect assumptions."
> Translating that to "No" is just as much a mistake as
> translating it to
> "Yes."
>
> --
> Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd

Actually, your statement "this isn't a meaningful question since it's based on
incorrect assumptions" is false. PyCharm outputs clickable links to the
console, but they aren't web links, they simply link to lines of code. I'd seen
that PyCharm can make links in the console that aren't web enabled, so it
seemed, and in fact it is, reasonable to assume that it could be done for urls.
I just wanted to know if anyone knew how to do it.

Granted, the suggestion to use tkinter to enable the links came up much later
than in the first 10 or so replies, and since tkinter makes clickable links
possible, that's another reason my question wasn't based on false assumptions.
It simply appears that the early responders to my question went off on a
tangent of what is or is not technologically possible, and all of the
approaches under consideration were in fact dead ends.

But clickable links turns out to be just eye candy, and the real result I
wanted, which is opening urls in a browser from my IDE, is much more quickly
and easily done programmatically. Although I didn't see this before I asked my
question, and only saw it after reading quite a few replies.

Perhaps though, I should have said "I was persuaded after about 10 replies that
that no one understood what I was asking." But that just seemed plain rude, so
I went with "the answer was no".