Clickable hyperlinks

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 10:42:29 EST 2017

On 2017-01-04, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> On my Linux machine, the terminal emulators I've used all make a regular
> url printed out into a clickable link (or at least a right-clickable
> link).  This is just something they try to do with all things that look
> like urls.  Sometimes it's helpful, often it's annoying.

What I have done is defined a window manager root menu entry that
opens a web browser on the current text selection.  That lets me
"click" on a link in any application that suport the standard X11
text-selection mechanism (which is almost all of them).

>> I was hoping there was some functionality in python to make clickable
>> links. Could be a package, if the core language doesn't have it.
>
> No, there is not.  If you made a full GUI app using a toolkit like
> GTK or Qt, you can indeed place hyperlinks on your forms and the
> operating system will automatically connect them to the web browser.
> But not in text-mode terminal apps.

For me it's double-click to select the url in the terminal window or
PDF viewer or whaterver, then right-click on the root window and pick
the menu entry that says 'Firefox [sel]' or 'Chrome [sel]'.  It's a
few extra steps, but it works for almostly any application that
displays text.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Where do your SOCKS
                                  at               go when you lose them in