Clickable hyperlinks

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Wed Jan 4 06:15:52 EST 2017

Steve D'Aprano wrote, on January 04, 2017 2:09 AM

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:00 pm, Deborah Swanson wrote:
>
> [speaking of threading emails]
>
> > I suppose. Times change of course, which always suits some and not
> > others. Personally, I think putting messages that have different
> > titles all in one thread is a bad design, but as I've said
> a couple of
> > times now I intend to comply with the new rules. But compliance
> > doesn't imply agreement. I prefer the old system, which ordered
> > threads by titles, but there's obviously no pleasing
> everyone on this
> > issue.
>
> Indeed :-)
>
> However, as far as I am aware, the use of threading by
> following the In-Reply-To and References header lines goes
> back to at least 1982, which makes them pretty old, and
> certainly pre-dates Gmail and Outlook by many years. They're
> also official standards which ALL email programs are supposed
> to follow, so if Gmail and Outlook fail to follow the
> standard, well, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't absolutely
> know for a fact that threading in this way is older than
> threading by subject line, but I'm fairly confident that what
> you are calling the "new rules" are actually the much older rules.
>
> Are there any old-timers here who were using email prior to
> 1982 that would care to comment?
>

> Here's a discussion by Jamie Zawinski, who wrote Netscape
> Navigator, before it became Mozila and Firefox, so he knows
> what he's talking about:

https://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html

The concept here is not so much that people start a new topic and change
the subject, but that sometimes the topic just naturally evolves to the
point that a change in subject is sensible. Take this thread for
example: the topic has drifted from "Clickable hyperlinks" to talking
about email threading. I should be able to change the subject without
breaking the
thread:

Clickable hyperlinks
+- RE: Clickable hyperlinks
│  +- Re: RE: Clickable hyperlinks
│  L- RE: Clickable hyperlinks
│     L- Threading [was Re: Clickable hyperlinks]
│        L- Re: Threading
+- RE: Clickable hyperlinks
L- Re: Clickable hyperlinks

Adding a "Re:" or "RE" to the subject doesn't change the thread, and
neither does changing the subject line in a more substantial way.

Of course, I can always *choose* to sort by subject line, or date.
Personally I hardly ever sort by thread, so it is no skin off my nose
what you do. But when you hit "Reply" to a message, you inherit the
"Reference" and "In-Reply-To" headers from the previous message, so at
least some people will see it threaded in an existing thread rather than
starting a brand new one.

--
Steve
"Cheer up," they said, "things could be worse." So I cheered up, and

Interesting history lesson. I actually wouldn't know which came first,
since I've only been online since 1992 (offline computing since 1972). I