Clickable hyperlinks

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 4 00:40:00 EST 2017

On Wednesday 04 January 2017 15:46, Deborah Swanson wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano wrote, on January 03, 2017 8:04 PM
[...]
>> Of course you have to put quotes around them to enter them in
>> your source code.
>> We don't expect this to work:
>>
>>     print(Hello World!)
>>

>> you have to use a string literal with quotes:
>>
>>     print('Hello World!')
>>

>> Same for all of the above.

> I didn't try printing them before, but I just did. Got:

> SyntaxError: invalid syntax  (arrow pointing at the colon)

You missed the part where I said you have to put them in quotes.

Like any other string in Python, you have to use quotation marks around it for
Python to understand it as a string. None of these things will work:

print( Hello World! )

print( What do you want to do today? )

print( 3 2 1 blast off )

print( http://www.example.com )

This isn't specific to print. This won't work either:

message = Hello World!

In *all* of these cases, you have to tell Python you're dealing with a string,
and you do that with quotation marks:

message = "Hello World!"
print( 'What do you want to do today?' )
count_down = '3 2 1 blast off'
url = 'http://www.example.com'

--
Steven