Clickable hyperlinks

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 23:05:18 EST 2017

On 01/03/2017 08:46 PM, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> Actually it is, or at least it doesn't happen in all email readers.
> Mine, for instance, never breaks up threads.

Mine doesn't either, which illustrates the issue. This  message, for
example appears under a long thread that started out life as "mentor
training python Romania with certification" and then changed to
"Cleaning up conditionals" and then changed to "Clickable hyperlinks."
All in one thread. My client doesn't break them up because they all tie
together via the message-id header.

And most of us would not like our client to break a thread just because
the subject changes. Often in long conversations there are twists and
turns in the discussion and sometimes side-paths are explored, and the
subject often is changed to reflect this.  With a truly threaded email
reader (one that shows a tree of messages, not just chronological
order), this works out very well.  So if a discussion has a natural
evolution into various other topics, it is often considered okay to just
change the subject but continue the thread. Other times, it's better to
start a new thread.  Where that line is is hard to say!

> I did say in the message you're replying to that I will try to remember
> to start new threads with brand new messages. (Even though I think
> pipermail's behavior is a bug, that's what many people read the list
> from.)

Sounds good.

I don't know of anyone that reads on the pipermail archive, except in
response to web searches.  Most people use clients of some kind, NNTP or
email.  And those that group messages according to message-id (most
clients except for ones that try to be smart like Gmail web or Outlook)
will show all the topics I mentioned before as one giant thread, which
is by design (that's what message-id headers are for).