Screwing Up looping in Generator

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Jan 3 18:05:20 EST 2017

Chris Angelico wrote, on January 03, 2017 2:31 PM

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Deborah Swanson
> <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> > while True:
> >   try:
> >     file = files.next()
> >   except StopIteration:
> >     break
>
> Small side point: Try to avoid calling a generator object's
> .next() method directly. Normally, when you _do_ want to do
> this, you should be calling next(files). In Python 3, the
> magic method is now __next__(), which emphasizes that it's
> for defining, not calling.
>
> As others have pointed out, though, the for loop is the
> correct tool for this job.
>
> ChrisA

Ok, I learned how to use generators in Python 2.7.8, which may be
different from Python 3 for generators. But I learned from MIT's online
introduction to python course, and they certainly seem to know python
well. So what is the correct way to call the generator's next yield in
Python 3? We only learned to use the next function. If you don't use the
next function, what do you use?

And yes, we usually used for loops for generators, unless you don't know
when the generator will be exhausted. As in this case, where the number
of files the generator can provide is unknown. Then we used the while
True, break on StopIteration method.