Clickable hyperlinks

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Jan 3 02:46:44 EST 2017

David wrote, on January 03, 2017 6:36 PM

> On 4 January 2017 at 11:50, Deborah Swanson
> <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
> > Erik wrote, on January 03, 2017 3:30 PM
> >>
> >> When you start a new topic on the list, could you please
> write a new
> >> message rather than replying to an existing message and
> changing the
> >> title/subject?
> >>
> > Certainly. I've been on many other lists before (but none
> since about
> > 2011), and no one complained of or even mentioned this
> problem. But if
> > it's a problem with some email readers now, I can easily
> just start a
> > new message.  Just being lazy and following old habits, I guess. ;)
>
> To be clear, the problem is not "with some email readers".

Actually it is, or at least it doesn't happen in all email readers. Mine, for
instance, never breaks up threads.

> The problem is that it breaks the thread management features
> that are built into every email message, making it impossible
> to display threads correctly.

Again, I think this is in some modern email readers. Apparently older ones were
more robust.

> As can be seen here for example:
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python->
list/2017-January/thread.html

> Note how most threads start in the leftmost column and
> replies are indented. But this does not occur where you began
> the new subject: "Clickable hyperlinks".

Yes, pipermail does seem to have a few bugs, this is the second one I've seen.

> Thanks.

I did say in the message you're replying to that I will try to remember to
start new threads with brand new messages. (Even though I think pipermail's
behavior is a bug, that's what many people read the list from.)