Clickable hyperlinks

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Mon Jan 2 22:32:04 EST 2017

Grant Edwards wrote, on January 03, 2017 3:13 PM

> On 2017-01-03, Deborah Swanson <python at deborahswanson.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry, I should have said a GUI console because I
> wouldn't expect
> > a text-based console to produce clickable links.
>
> What's a "GUI console"?
>
> --
> Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I
> want you to MEMORIZE
>                                   at               the
> collected poems of
>                               gmail.com            EDNA ST
> VINCENT MILLAY

The GUI consoles I have are in Pycharm, the IDLE that comes with Anaconda, and
Spyder. PyCharm and IDLE both ask for internet access when I open them, so
they're capable of opening links, but whether that means their output space is
capable of handling clickable links I don't know.

I do know printing a full url with the %s specifier or entering a url and
clicking enter just gives you the plain text url. Obviously, not all GUI
consoles are enabled recognize and make clickable links from
correctly formatted urls.

I was hoping there was some functionality in python to make clickable links.
Could be a package, if the core language doesn't have it.