Screwing Up looping in Generator

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Mon Jan 2 19:53:00 EST 2017

> > Sayth Renshaw wrote, on January 03, 2017 6:54 AM
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > This is simple, but its getting me confused.
> > >
> > > I have a csv writer that opens a file and loops each line of the
> > > file for each file and then closes, writing one file.
> > >
> > > I want to alter the behaviour to be a written file for each input
> > > file. I saw a roundrobin example however it failed for me as you
> > > cannot get len(generator) to use a while loop on. it exhausts
> > >
> > > should I use the same for again after the with open?
> > >
> > > rootobs in this code is my generator and I am already looping it
> > > however def data_attr(roots):
> > >     """Get the root object and iter items."""
> > >     for file in rootobs:
> > >         base = os.path.basename(file.name)
> > >         write_to = os.path.join("output",
> > > os.path.splitext(base)[0] + ".csv")
> > >         with open(write_to, 'w', newline='') as csvf:
> > >             race_writer = csv.writer(csvf, delimiter=',')
> > >             race_writer.writerow(
> > >                 ["meet_id", "meet_venue", "meet_date",
> "meet_rail",
> > >                  # other categories here
> > >                     "jockeysurname", "jockeyfirstname"])
> > >             for xml_data in roots:
> > >                 # parsing code
> > >                         for noms in race_child:
> > >                             if noms.tag == 'nomination':
> > >                                 race_writer.writerow(
> > >                                     [meet_id, meet_venue,
> meet_date,
> > >                                     #parsing info removed
> > >
> > noms.get("jockeyfirstname")])
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Sayth
> >
> > What's the code for your generator? And I don't see where you
> > call 'next'.
>
> I think you're expecting
>
>       for file in rootobs
>
> to get the next yield for you from rootobs, but unless
> someone corrects me, I don't think you can expect a 'for'
> statement to do that. You need to have a 'next' statement
> inside your for loop to get the next yield from the generator.
>
> But I might not understand exactly what you're asking.

You probably want something like :

for f in rootobs:
    file = next
    base = os.path.basename(file.name)
       .
       .
       .
      (etc)

Notice I changed your iterating variable name to 'f', so you can use
'file' throughout your code after you get the next one from rootobs.

As written, you'll get a StopIteration exception when rootobs runs out of
files, which you can catch with a try/except. Or you can just let the code end
there if you're done.