python-libxdo?

Jim jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 23:07:45 EST 2017

I found this module by accident the other day and decided to try to use
it to position some windows on my desktop.

# Script to open and position program windows

import subprocess
from xdo import Xdo

xdo = Xdo()

subprocess.call('firefox')
win = xdo.search_windows(winname = 'Mozilla Firefox')
xdo.move_window(win, 14, 83)

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/jfb/MyProgs/Scripts/place_windows.py", line 9, in <module>
     win = xdo.search_windows(winname = 'Mozilla Firefox')
   File "/home/jfb/EVs/env/lib/python3.5/site-packages/xdo/__init__.py",
line 708, in search_windows
     search.winname = winname
TypeError: bytes or integer address expected instead of str instance

I couldn't find any examples on line, so what do I need to give to
search_windows so I can pass a window id to move_window?

Thanks,  Jim