Python 3.6 installation doesn't add launcher to PATH

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 02:20:30 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 12:38 PM, ChrisW <c.c.wood at gmail.com> wrote:
> However, I've installed Python 3.6 with the 'include PATH' checkbox ticked
> for my user only, and although C:\Windows\py.exe exists, it has not been
> added to my PATH.
>
> I also tried installing for all users, and this also doesn't add it to the PATH.
>
> Is this a bug, or have I done something wrong?!

What the installer adds to PATH is the Python36[-32] directory that
has python.exe and the Scripts directory that has pip.exe. The
recommended way to run Python is via the "python" command not "py".
The py launcher is mainly for shell executing script files with
shebang processing. That said people do use py -X[-Y[-32]] as a
convenient way to run multiple versions of Python without modifying
PATH.

As to adding SystemRoot to PATH, it should be there already. This
doesn't matter if the program lets CreateProcess search because it
always searches system directories before PATH. But it matters in a
common case; cmd.exe does its own search and only searches PATH (and
also the current directory if the system is configured insecurely).