Python application launcher (for Python code)

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 10:51:34 EST 2017

On 2017-02-21, Chris Warrick <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:

> Git Bash, or basically msys, is pretty reasonable. But if you are on
> Windows 10, you might like the built-in Windows Subsystem for Linux
> (aka Bash on Ubuntu on Windows) more — it’s real Linux that runs
> alongside Windows, but less crazy than Cygwin.

Cygwin is indeed crazy.

I've been in awe of it for 15 years.

Even  sshd works (if you're carefuly and a little lucky).

It's a medium-sized miracle that Cygwin works as well as it does.  For
a few years, I distributed and supported a custom snapshot of base
Cygwin plus a software development kit for a specific hardware
product.  It was not fun.  Cygwin is a bit brittle and presents many
mysterious failure modes. But, had I not seen it myself, I never would
have believed Cygwin would work in a useful way.

In then end, we gave up on supporting Cygwin for our Windows
customers.  It's actually easier to install Ubuntu in a VM and have
them use that.  The last customer I had who was trying to install
Cyginw and use it for development spent weeks and never got everything
to work with Cygwin.  About two hours after I finally convinced him to
try Linux on a VM, I got an e-mail saying his Linux VM as installed,
the devleopment tools were installed on that, and he was happily
building his applications.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I know how to do
                                  at               SPECIAL EFFECTS!!