Python application launcher (for Python code)

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Feb 21 14:59:49 EST 2017

Jim wrote, on February 21, 2017 9:51 AM

> On 02/21/2017 09:43 AM, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > I like Linux for this job, as it has a number of capabilities that
> > Windows doesn't have, and I was looking for an improvement on what I

> > can do in Windows. If you do a lot of computing it's nice to have
> > tools and code you commonly use, and only the ones you've chosen,
> > conveniently available from one interface. This interface could have

> > other functionalities itself.
> >
> > I was asking if anyone knew of Python code that acts in this way,
and
> > it appears so far that the answer is no.
> >
> > Deborah
> >

> If you switch to Linux you might look at a program called Drawers. I
use
> it on Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04. It sits on the launcher panel and if you

> click it it opens up and you can click on programs to start them. Most

> things you can drag and drop on it, some things you must do a little
> editing to get them to start. It is written in Python I think.
>
> On Mint 18 I use a program called MyLauncher. It sits on the top panel

> and will drop down a menu of programs to start. It's a little more
hands
> on as you must add your programs to a config file to get them in the
> launcher. Don't think this one is written in Python.
>
> Both are in the OS's repositories.
>
> Regards,  Jim

Thanks, Jim.  This is exactly the type of program I was looking for.

A number of people have made some very helpful suggestions on ways to
get a Linux shell installed in Windows, but since I really don't want to
burn up a lot of time (any time at all actually) for a Windows solution,
I think I'll have a go with Cooperative Linux first. It's a way of
installing Linux on a separate partition that runs concurrently with
Windows and doesn't require booting back and forth between them - why go
cheap when you can have the real thing, which is what you originally
wanted anyway? Might not be that much trouble either, though I think the
installation is tricky.

I'll try both Drawers and taking a look at MyLauncher's code. Chances
are MyLauncher, or the parts of it I want, can be rewritten in Python.
But if Drawers is sufficient and no better recommendations surface, I'll
probably just go with that.

Originally I wanted Python code that would run in Windows (for minimal
fuss to get an application launcher now), and I might look at Drawers
for that. But chances are that an application launcher would make heavy
use of the os, and in Drawers that would be Linux and not Windows.

I think Cooperative Linux should be my next stop for this project.

Deborah