Noob confused by ConfigParser defaults

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Feb 20 18:04:09 EST 2017

Tim Chase wrote:

> On 2017-02-20 10:45, Peter Otten wrote:
>> value = parser.get("section-1", "option-1", fallback="default
>> value")
>
> Huh.  Do you remember when this was added?  I see it in the 3.x docs,
> but not the 2.x docs.  I remember writing my own wrappers multiple
> times for exactly these purposes, even to the point of opening an
> issue in the hopes of getting something of the like included
>
> https://lists.gt.net/python/bugs/827378?do=post_view_threaded
>
> So I'm glad to see it arrived; just curious when that happened
> officially.

I don't use configparser regularly, so I had to look around myself and found

https://docs.python.org/3.2/whatsnew/3.2.html#configparser

"""
A number of smaller features were also introduced, like support for
specifying encoding in read operations, specifying fallback values for get-
functions, or reading directly from dictionaries and strings.

(All changes contributed by Łukasz Langa.)
"""

Łukasz also closed your bug report

http://bugs.python.org/issue8666#msg113414

but the superseding issue is itself superseded...