Python application launcher (for Python code)

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Mon Feb 20 10:44:27 EST 2017

Ben Finney wrote, on February 19, 2017 11:27 PM

> "Deborah Swanson" <python at deborahswanson.net> writes:
>
> > I could probably write this myself, but I'm wondering if this hasn't

> > already been done many times.
>
> Can you describe what you are looking for, in enough detail
> that we can know whether it's already been done as you want it?
>
> --
>  \      "God forbid that any book should be banned. The practice is as
|
>   `\                  indefensible as infanticide."
>-Dame Rebecca West |
> _o__)
|
> Ben Finney

I deliberately left the question open-ended because I'm curious what's
out there. I've studied and practiced Python for a little over a year,
but I've spent that time mostly writing my own code and I don't really
know much about what and where to look for in modules and packages.

Basically, I now have quite a few Python programs I use frequently, and
as time goes on my collection and uses of it will grow. Right now I just
want a way to select which one I'd like to run and run it. I'd like it
to be a standalone application and some sort of system of categories
would be nice.

I'm migrating tasks I've always done in Excel to Python, and I have a
sketchy idea of features I'd like to open Excel with, but I hate Excel
VBA so much that I haven't written an on_Open macro for Excel yet. What
I'd like to open with is mostly a menu of macros I'd like to have
available for any code I'm running, possibly opening different
environments for different kinds of tasks, that sort of thing. I also
plan to use sqlite3 for permanent data storage, matplotlib for charts,
and tkinter for interfaces. That's all in the planning stages, but one
thing that seems like an obvious need is a way to keep related code and
its associated data, charts, etc, easily accessible to each other, like
they are when they're all bundled together in an Excel workbook. I have
a few ideas about how to do that, but I'm also interested in what other
people have done.

I probably won't know exactly what I want until I have one and use it
for awhile. I've been keeping my code for daily computing open in my IDE
and using the IDE for a launcher, but it's getting a little crowded, and
I'd like to access those bits separately from code I'm currently working
on.

Deborah