How to store properties

Michael_Torrie at f38.n261.z1 Michael_Torrie at f38.n261.z1
Wed Feb 8 03:55:12 EST 2017

From: Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com>

On 02/08/2017 04:26 AM, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> In Java you (can) use a properties file store configuration. What is
> the best way to do something like that in Python?
> I saw ConfigParser, but have the feeling that it is not really used.
> Would a JSON file be a good idea?

I've used ConfigParser before.  I think the relative simpleness of .INI files.
If I was expecting end users to manipulate a config file, I would use
ConfigParser.

But 90% of the time, I just use another python module.  For my purposes, there
is no security risk to it.  Due to its nature, Django also uses python modules to
define configuration such as URL maps, etc.

When I'm using GTK+, I would use the gsettings facilities of GTK+ to store and
retrieve config variables.  And with Qt, I'd use QSettings. I think in both cases
they use backends appropriate for the operating system. On Windows, that would be
registry settings in the user hive.