Python installer hangs in Windows 7

Jean-Claude Roy jcroy95014 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 00:03:01 EST 2017

  I am trying to install Python 3.6.0 on a Windows 7 computer.
The download of 29.1 MB is successful and I get the nextwindow.  I choose the "install now" selection and thatopens the Setup Program window.
Now the trouble starts:I get "Installing:" and the Initialization progress...and nothing else.
There is no additional disk activity, no progress on initialization, andeverything appears dead.  Even after 20 minutes there is zero progress.
I've repeated this as both a user and the administrator of this Windowscomputer.  I get the same results in either case.
If I go to the task manager it shows that Python 3.6.0 (32-bit) setup is running.  If I try to end the task Iget the message that the program is not responding.
Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get past this?
Thank you.