How to know what to install (Ubuntu/Debian) for a given import?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Feb 2 04:28:30 EST 2017

Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2017 01:03 PM, Wildman via Python-list wrote:
> >
> > It is the proper way.  This page helps explain it.
> >
> > http://askubuntu.com/questions/784068/what-is-gi-repository-in-python
> >
> >> ... and doesn't it need an internet connection?
> >
> > No.
>
> However the gi module provides access to GTK+3, and it's quite likely
> Chris's project requires GTK+2, and would probably take some work to
> port from GTK+2 to GTK+3, though in the long run it's worth the effort.
>
> Anyway the GTK+2 module for python is usually called pygtk in the repos.

It would appear that there isn't a GTK+2 for Python 3 in Ubuntu, or at
least I can't find one.  I've reverted to staying with Python 2 fr the
moment.  I can't manage changing the code to work with a database
instead of LDAP *and* migrating from GTK+2 to GTK+3. :-)

When I have it working as I want in python 2 I'll consider the GTK+2
to GTK+3 migration and moving to python 3.

--
Chris Green
·