How to know what to install (Ubuntu/Debian) for a given import?

Wildman best_lay at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 18:20:09 EST 2017

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 21:29:00 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> Wildman <best_lay at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > That works but it's a workaround rather than the proper way to do it
>> > isn't it?
>>
>> It is the proper way.  This page helps explain it.
>>
>> http://askubuntu.com/questions/784068/what-is-gi-repository-in-python
>>
> OK, thank you, what a strange way to do it.

I am sure there is a reason and I believe it has
something to do with the fact that GTK3 is a recent
addition.  Things might change in the future.

>> > ... and doesn't it need an internet connection?
>>
>> No.
>>
> OK, no problem, but isn't it very non-portable?

I don't see why not.  It should work on any system
that has Python3 installed, at least that is my
understanding.  I'm sure someone will correct me
if I'm wrong.

OTOH if you want in insure 100% portability with any
script, you can use pyinstaller.

To install for Python2:
  pip install pyinstaller

For Python3: