Python3 using requests to grab HTTP Auth Data

Νίκος Βέργος me.on.nzt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:51:38 EST 2017

Τη Τετάρτη, 1 Φεβρουαρίου 2017 - 11:41:28 μ.μ. UTC+2, ο χρήστης Michael Torrie έγραψε:
> On 02/01/2017 01:51 PM, Νίκος Βέργος wrote:
> > as well as input() for both user & pass combo but iam not getting in chrome the basic pop-up HTTP auth window.
> >
> > Any idea why?
>
> What you're describing is not something you can do with an interactive
> Python script.  HTTP-level authentication is requested of your browser
> by the web server itself.  On Apache there are numerous methods you can
> use.  Individual users can use .htaccess directives to add
> authentication to a directory, for example.  You'll need to learn about it:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=apache+http+authentication
>
> If you're using a framework like Django, there are mechanisms for
> checking the username and password against a Python method.  Again,
> google for http authentication and whatever framework you're using.
>
> I once used a special python script that was called by an Apache module
> to verify users against a customized LDAP filter.  Again, that involves
> server cooperation though a module.
>
> In general, the browser pops up the username and password box in
> response to a request from the web server.  It's not something your CGI
> script can just do without some cooperation from the web server.

I used to have this workaround solution for triggering the web server to pop-up the HTTP Auth window

print '''<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="2;url=http://superhost.gr/data/files/%s">''' % file_requested

and i have tried to read the the login auth name that user entered by using

authuser = os.environ.get( 'REMOTE_USER', 'Άγνωστος' )

unfortunately it always failes to receive it that's why i'm trying to do the trick with the requests module.