doubt loading pages

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Feb 1 06:37:02 EST 2017

José Manuel Suárez Sierra wrote:

> hello everyone,
> Im trying to make a program that takes an archive from pdb (for instance
> this link http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/files/fasta.txt?structureIdList=5HXY
>
> after reading it I want it to save in a list only this part of the
> archive:
>
> MGSSHHHHHHSSGLVPRGSHMASMTGGQQ...IRFIQQILGHASVATTQIYTHLNDSALREMYTQHRPRY
>
> I have written this:
>
> import urllib2
>

> seq=raw_input("Introduce pdb code \n")
>

> seq =
> urllib2.urlopen(
> "http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/files/fasta.txt?structureIdList="+seq)
> print seq.read()
>

> seq.close()
>

> My question is, how do I save this into a python list?

While you could cook up something yourself it's probably better to use an
existing library like biopython.

$ cat retrieve_fasta.py
import urllib2
import Bio.SeqIO

seq = raw_input("Introduce pdb code \n")

seq = urllib2.urlopen(
    "http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/files/fasta.txt?structureIdList="
    + seq
)

for record in Bio.SeqIO.parse(seq, "fasta"):
    seq_list = list(record.seq.tostring())
    break # stop after the first iteration

print seq_list
$ python retrieve_fasta.py